George’s Street school was handed over to the Brothers in 1853 and 192 pupils attended. It remained open until 1971, when it was sold to Scowcream for £6250. The pupils transferred to the newly extended school in Green Street.
In 1873 Mr. Richard Devereux built a monastery in Joseph Street to house the Brothers at a cost of £2500. They live there to this day.
Two years later a new school was built at the rear end of the monastery by Richard Devereux. It cost £1,500. (The Secondary school is on this site at the present time).
The Faythe school was then transferred to the St. John of God Sisters.
The bell from the old St. Mary’s church was transferred to the monastery in 1885.
In 1939 a new school was opened at Green Street. It cost £15,959, including furniture. It was opened by Dr. Staunton, the Bishop of Ferns in a big ceremony. Many hundreds of townspeople attended and invited guests had a meal in Rooms 5 & 6.
1969 saw the first female teacher arrive at the school. Her name was Ms. Frawley (now known as Ms. Brett).
When the New Block was opened in 1971, 820 pupils attended the school, with an average of 50 pupils in each class!!
In 1972 The gym was opened and is shared between Primary and Secondary schools..
Mr. Jos Furlong became the first lay principal of the Primary School in 1999.
At the present time, there are about 250 pupils and 13 full-time teachers in the school (4 men and 9 women). Pupils come to us in 2nd class from the Mercy
School, St. John’s Rd. and into 4th class from The Faythe School. The decline in our school population has enabled us to convert existing classrooms for use in specialist areas, and we now have a dedicated Computer Room, an Art Room, Music Room, Video Room and a School Library.
We’ve come a long way!!!